How To Be UNcool at a Food Court

8:41 AM

Image from Google Streetview
There I was at New Hollywood in Canning Garden, Ipoh on a (hot) Sunday morning for breakfast. It was 9 a.m. and there were plenty of patrons. All the seats and tables were fully occupied. Scores of people were standing around waiting to pounce on any available seats. By the looks of the cars parked around the restaurant, my car was the only one with an 'A' (Perak state) plate number. Lots of people were from out of town.

Fortunately, I only had to wait less than 10 minutes for a seat. After a few kilometers of jogging, I felt that I could eat a horse. Unfortunately, I couldn't. So instead I had:

1. Wantan Mee (prawn) - RM 4
2. Fried fish cakes - RM 7 (depend on what you choose)
3. Chee Cheong Fun (prawn) - RM 4.20
4. Roti Telur Goyang - Not really sure how much coz I paid it with my drinks


All of these were from different stalls. There are a few other stalls as well such as Fried Kuey Tiau and Western style breakfast. The ones in bold are the exceptional ones.

Chee Cheong Fun

Chee Cheong Fun
This is the best Chee Cheong Fun I have ever tasted. I've tasted the one in Aeon Klebang food court and Mee Kari Bawah Pokok Cherry. Those to were not to my liking. The sauce was plain horrible - at least for my taste buds. This Chee Cheong Fun is so simple, yet tastes SOOOOO good. Maybe its the generous helping of sesame seeds and sesame oil.
This is A MUST TRY!

Roti Telur Goyang

I guess this is an Ipoh specialy kot. I went to a Kemaman (Terengganu) kopitiam once and the waiter didn't have a clue what I was talking about. It is basically perfectly buttered home made toast with half boiled eggs on top.
You might probably wonder why I don't have any picture of the Roti Telur Goyang. It's because, by the time I realized I needed to take a picture, I dah telan habis licin!
This is a relatively simple dish. Somehow, other places just don't make it the same way.

Back to the topic of HOW TO BE UNCOOL AT A FOOD COURT.

While having my breakfast at New Hollywood. I noticed a group of 6 people having their meal on a table next to mine. They were there before I took a seat and they were even there after I left. One of the was reading the papers, two of them were on their phones. The rest were chit chatting over a bowl of another 2 or 3 pieces of kuih. Of course la, it is fun to enjoy each others company but WHY THE NEED TO HOG THE TABLE?! They were oblivious to the other people standing around looking for seats. Kesian la kat orang lain tu. They all nak try jugak makan kat situ.

Please be considerate. It's OK if there is no one else around.

The moral of the story:
1. IT IS UNCOOL TO HOG SEATS in a busy food court or restaurant.
2. If you come to Ipoh, try the Chee Cheong Fun and Roti Telur Goyang.


The Makan Doctor

#streetfood
#ipohmalitalaksombong
#ipohisawesome

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook